President Barak Obama signed the Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2009, providing a major expansion of the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) to provide health insurance to moderate-income families and illegal aliens.
This government handout is funded with an increased federal tobacco tax.
- Increase U.S. Federal Tax on a pack of cigarettes from $0.39 to $1.01 per pack
- Increase Federal tax on pipe tobacco from $1.0969 per pound to $2.83 per pound
- Increase Federal tax on RYO tobacco from $1.0969 per pound to $24.78 per pound
- Increase Federal tax on cigarette papers (50 or less) from $0.0122 to $0.0315
- Federal tax on cigarette tubes (50 or less) = $0.0244 - New rate is $0.0630
Lots of people suggest we just make tobacco illegal. What good little communitarians they are.