Thursday, November 29, 2007

ACL Headquarters, winter camp - 2007

What is the ACL?

We're a tiny anticommunitarian research institute for discerning minds, traveling on "angst and a budget." Our addresses so far include our good friend Michele's targeted Hugh Sisley rental property on N.E. 65th St, Seattle, WA (what got us involved - Dawson v. Seattle); Hansville, WA (first winter tent was on John's pond); N.W. 40th St, Seattle, WA (with M, co-designer of War on Words game); Big Horn Mtns & Worland, WY; Valdez, AK (in Kathy and Mikes' backyard); Denali Wilderness Lodge (a fly-in resort on the Wood River, AK~ first full-scale gertee); a farm in Derrington, WA; Kent, Washington (in Wacky-Do's back bedroom); Anchorage, AK (next door to Needers); Tonsina, AK; Chitina, AK; our present location is the Copper River Basin, AK. We live in the shadows of four of the largest mountains in North America, right next door to the largest U.N. internationally protected park in the U.S.A. - Wrangell St. Elias - 13.2 million acres.

Our research and technical staff consists of
two women, one baby, and a dog.


Fred's favorite chair and lap.

Me and Osa
spring 2007 at Redington RV Park & Racing Kennel
photo by Tim Redington

Many people are writing to ask if I "really" live in a tent in Alaska. Yes, I do. But this year I live in a really nice, comfortable, and warm tent, in a version of a yurt that we call a GerTee.

Reactions to my lifestyle vary from, "tell that woman it makes her look like a wacko," to, "you are a VERY brave woman." To many people, I am completely nuts for choosing to camp in Alaska year-round, and I must admit they are probably right about that. It's been quite an experience, but as Nordica reminded me, I have been living in Alaska on and off for over 30 years, I do know how to adapt to 50 below temps, so maybe it's not that nuts.

I first visited our northern-most state in 1974 as a traveling magazine salesman, and came back as a stripper during the Trans Alaska Pipeline. I went on to cocktail waitressing, bartending, and can-can shows, and I didn't get my GED and go to college until I was 27. Both my children were born in Alaska, and now my grandson was born right here in the tent 3 months ago. The point is, I already had a very bizarre life before I started studying the communitarians. So, I can't blame my weirdness on learning about the Hegelian dialectic. I've always been a little different, I grew up with the full-force of the Aquarian Conspiracy dominating my development as a human being, and as a result, my life has been one long trip into the madness of a seduced nation.

I want to know what it's like to live outside of Hegelian mind control. Since housing is a primary dialectical vehicle for displacing populations, and it was via a HUD program that we ended up with Community Policing, my first step is learning how to supply my own daily necessities.

Main entrance to the "institute for anticommunitarian studies."

Me, dressed for the theatre.

Radiant Guard makes great walls too!

What a chainsaw looks like in 15 degrees below zero, F.

Last winter I just had my little sled for hauling wood, and I needed a lot more to heat the wall tent than I do for GerTee. This winter, thanks to Martin from Carlos Tree Service, City Electric, and the Copper Basin Telephone people running DSL cable to Chitina, I was hired as a flagger, made some money, and got to buy myself a Rubbermaid handcart. (I also got to contribute about $1300. to the communitarian government.) We use the cart to haul waterjugs and laundry too. Some kind of a cart is a "must have" for any camp with little old women doing all the grunt work.


For a review of the ACL Headquarters, winter camp - 2006, go to http://nord.twu.net/acl/headquarters.html

No comments: